Tuesday, February 14, 2006

I have arrived!

















as I was flying to Tel Aviv I decided to pick me up a guidebook to Israel,
delighted with my new purchase I spent the next half hour trying to find a reference to Gaza.
finally under 'occupied territories' I found it

"Gaza, on the Mediterranean coast, is most troubled of all and is best avoided altogether"

ahh....

flights and all were grand except that I forgot to go to sleep,
passed into Gaza through the Erez checkpoint
crazy crazy experience
through the VIP entrance as I is a foreigner
got my passport checked 4 times in about 250 yards of cattle pen like gates.

hopped in a taxi on the other side
my guide advised

"don't wear a seatbelt it looks suspicious.."
I was looking to be kidnapped apparently

breathtaking drive through northern Gaza
mental driving overtaking mulecarts while avoiding bomb craters on the motorway

place I'm staying is lovely
Gaza city is completely buzzing
amazing, hectic city
great food and serious hospitality
alot of foreigners though......

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're so efficient, posting on the blog already. Gaza looks beautiful in your pictures.

11:23 PM  
Blogger johndryan said...

I wish I had a girlfriend who'd tell me I was efficient...

9:19 AM  
Blogger luke said...

efficient means hot in arabic......

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

didnt know you wanted a girlfriend, John!
Great to get the update, Luke - and I like the photos- good camera.
Be safe.

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am 888th to visit your blog.... nearly at the big 1000 makes you a little cool. hope today went ok.

1:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

err...i dont think efficient does mean hot in arabic, does it luke?? were you maybe not paying attention in lesson that day? and are you kinda thinking you should have now..?? yea

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Luke, Burkie from the hockey club, Naas these days, not Weston.

Just had a great read of your blog, Tucker passed it on to me. Amazing stuff. Glad to hear you’re well and safe. Keep it up. It’s St. Patrick’s day so, enjoy your Irishness, get your shamrock on of were your green jersey, maybe not after the flag story.
PS-Weston missed you last week in the semi final, we (Naas) won 5-2. Your brother did well.

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home