Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Bethlehem





















So after everything took off in Gaza I went to stay with friends in Bethlehem,
now that is an interesting place.
I was staying just a two minute walk inside the Israeli "security wall" which seperates Bethlehem form Jerusalem.
Spent a while watching the kids and the army play the "you might have stones but we've got tear gas" game.
Was pretty enertaining.


A rather odd outcome from my evacuation from Gaza was that I got invited to the Irish ambassador's house for a Paddy's day party. I left without any respectable clothes and went to the bash wearing runners and looking real scruffy,
but it was a really cool if odd night.
Met loads of really interesting people from the UN, BBC, Diplomats..etc,
and there was a free bar.

Also got to visit Jerusalem, Hebron and a couple of other places.
Back in Gaza now,
atmosphere has changed noticeably since last week.
Everyone now asks me if I am British and I get a couple more funny "what are you doing here, you mad egg" looks off people.
I have started carrying around my passport all the time,
just in case.

Turns out the secret police guys I met over the camera incident had sent armed guards to protect my building the day of the kidnappings!
It's funny how you make friends......

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photos of the wall Luke, but I would like to see one of you...just to reassure myself that you are ok.

About being asked if you are British...what about the rugby on sat...isnt it great to be Irish!

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd also carry a pint of guinness everywhere - no, scrap that idea, you'd get shot for that...

Glad to hear you're having a killer time. I can't believe that as soon as we leave the country Ireland starts winning trophies...

Sin é an saol, cheapim...

Noel

5:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like you got angels looking after you bro!

7:27 AM  
Blogger Jay and Jenny Wilson said...

Yeah, "secret police" or guardian angels?
Eh? Eh?
...Think about it...

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Luke,
Interesting times for you. Life is so mundane here in comparison. Got a copy of the Trinity paper. Enjoyed your article immensely except for the bit "Limerick Style family feuds" - do you not hear what happens elsewhere in Ireland!!
Stay safe.

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Iz zayik ya Luke? Hammel eh? Mubsuit?
Ma hebish ill mawduah el 'Blog' die, bas low Cal-imic b Arabie, ha tiff hem-nie shwaja?
Anna mabsuit min-ic ya Luke, wa-hash tin-neewa awei! Be-suleek!

hope you understand alittle!

11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

time to update the blog, Luke !

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home